Friday, December 2, 2011

Atrial Septum Defects: Right to Left Shunt?

I have a query for any doctors, surgeons or other qualified individuals. I am going in for a definative experiment next week, but I probably hold a right-to-left shunt across my atrial septum. I'm wondering what types of surgeries are used to fix this and how dangerous they are.
I am 20, terribly healthy, hold low bp, low resting heartrate (I'm an endurance athlete). I enjoy some breathing issues, my O2 sat drops during exercise, and the right side of my heart is enlarged.
What can I expect?Atrial Septum Defects: Right to Left Shunt?
hi here.
The heart has four chamber,- two atria (right and left), and two ventricules, (right and left). Blood from the superior & inferior vena cave go to the right atrium, to the right ventricle, then to the lungs, next to the left atrium, and lastly to the disappeared ventricule, before it is ejected out of the heart.
Atrial septal irregularity (ASD) simply means here is a defect and a nouns between the two atria(atrium). So, some blood that is suppose to shift the left ventricle, flows wager on to the right atrium.
It is a left to right shunt- since blood from the moved out atrium(with the higher pressure) will walk the right atrium.
Not all ASD wishes surgery. generally, if the QPQS is smaller quantity than 1.5:1, person can be observed.
If the ASD is to be treated, surgical closure by medium of a patch or primary repair can easily be done near low risk of mortality nor morbidity.
Anothe form of closure is the endovascular route.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/atrial_sept...

No comments:

Post a Comment